Re: status of packages

Le Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:43:51PM +0200, Thorsten Alteholz a écrit :

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >sorry to be a bit late to realise: I remember why I was putting files like
> >trunk/debian/RETIRED in the Subversion repositories of packages I migrated to
> >Git: deleting the trunk directory without waiting for a release cycle will
> >break the VCS URLs in the stable release.
>
> hmm, ok, but aren't they broken anyway? If you use the URLs of
> stable, you won't get the current version (this is in git now).
> Instead you get some random version that only marks the moment of
> switching. Wouldn't it be better for the user when he gets an error
> instead of some outdated data?
> Btw. where do you see the "broken" links? Isn't the URL in PTS
> always the URL from the latest upload?

Hi Thorsten,

The VCS URLs are not only used by the PTS, but also by other tools, like
debcheckout.  Indeed, getting an obsolete checkout is not useful, but in case
of error it is not obvious what was the reason.  It is probably not
a big problem, but putting README.status in package/trunk/ instead of package/
would solve it.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles