Re: Just to say hello

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 09:49:48PM +0200, Karolina Kalic wrote:
> The BOF was very inspiring, I only didn't like so much java... It was
> nice talking to you too. :)

:)

> >   http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedTodo
>
> I'll check it out and see what I can do to help. I'm preparing two
> more packages for Debian at the moment, so if you have some medical
> package that is orphaned or is waiting to be packaged, let me know to
> give it a try.

I think it should be quite easy to pick some work from tasks pages like

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio

(I picked the biological page because it fits your profession best -
feel free to dive into the other tasks)  The principle is easy: yellow
or red color is signaling work to do. :-)

I just added you to the Debian Med team and thus you can easily commit
to the Debian Med repositories (SVN and Git is used at the preference of
the packager see our policy[1]).  Currently you see as tasks like

 - "Newer upstream" warnings (I just noticed that some false positives
   seem to be there - need to check the page creating code)
   Just commit the needed changes for the new version to VCS and ping
   the list for a sponsored upload.
 - "Go tagging" for missing DebTags (I learned in the Debian Science BOF
   that the DebTags concept is widely unknown :-()
 - "Upload screenshot"

Any work is helpful and as a newcomer you have quite good chances to
softly dive into the pool of software which is there.  Further down you
can see packages which we started working but did not finished yet for
different reasons.  So you can have a look starting from

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio#pkgvcs-debs

to find some more targets for your packaging attempt.  Feel free to ask
here first if you decided for a certain package - in most cases you will
get useful hints.

> You can add Serbian to the tasks, and I'll do my best to translate it
> as soon as possible.

I will do but currently ddtp.debian.net is down and thus the
registration of Serbian (which seems to be not there currently).  I'll
observe this and will keep you informed.

Welcome in the team

       Andreas.

PS: I agree with you that dcm4chee is not really a task for a newcomer
    specifically without any love for Java.  Some beer + pizza is just
    to less fee to become a Java expert. :-)
    Also the GinkoCADx issue is a bit tricky because the program itself
    is not the issue which needs fixing but rather some complex cmake
    multiarch stuff in connection with vtk - also nothing a newcomer
    should pick as first task.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html