Re: [EMBOSS] Files included in EMBOSS but licensed ...

Hello,

I can give it a try.

On 07/29/2011 10:39 AM, Peter Rice wrote:
It might make things clearer if someone from Debian could explain:

(a) why a Creative Commons licence is an issue for you

the OK to fiddle with source code and give it away again is the core
principle of free software. Not to be allowed to do so would render
the package unfree - like in Rosetta and elsewhere.

(b) why you appear to consider a copy of a whole or part of a public
biological database as part of an "operating system"

Good question, I reckon it is not a part of the OS, it just
distributes with it. I think we should just come to accept that
such data is non-free and that we want it in the original
pristine shape.

Charles, we can have the data in non-free but the rest of Ensembl
in main - with the functional separation by omitting the tests,
it would truly be main, not contrib. So we would just add a
package ensembl-data-non-free and move it all over there that
could be interpreted as problematic.

Best,

Steffen