Re: Added strap to our todo list

Hello,

On 05/27/2011 10:06 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I've got a hint from Christoph Gille to include STRAP[1] into Debian.
Indeed. I had a couple of students who came up with STRAP
by themselves to get alignments with structures together,
much like Cn3D ... or Jalview.
> He consideres STRAP as most advanced of the free sequence alignment
> programs and it is comparable to jalview.
Since he is upstream to STRAP, this is how it should be. All
my weekends and evengings are already booked for the near future,
and I admit that because of my ambition to get Taverna in, I would
now rather want to see some success story with Jalview first.
> I have injected an entry to
> our tasks page[2] (which is currently not updated due to trouble with the
> Alioth migration, but that's a temporary issue).

This seems to work again :)
biomaj-watcher $ svn commit
Sending
biomaj-watcher/trunk/debian/control

Transmitting file data
.

Committed revision 6856.
> What I have seen on the website is actually interesting, however we
> might probable have to fight another Java dependency battle ...
Indeed, what looks like a weekend activity easily becomes multiple
weekends and then refuses to work.
> Any takers? Comments?
It would be excellent for Christoph and Jim to meet up for synchronising
their Java versions and/or the one or other idea of theirs. All the UK bio
groups are excellent with their ties to the OSG1
initiatives and I could imaging this to help us and Christoph to reduce some
efforts.  @Christoph, there is a hackathon organised just before BOSC
is happening in Vienna this year (no fees). Since Berlin-Vienna is basically
no distance, maybe you could all meet up at this opportunity?
http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Codefest_2011

Many greetings

Steffen