Re: blast+ packaging

Hi,
thanks for your reviews.
I won't have time to progress in next 2 weeks.
I will refresh svn and have a look at this time

For boost, I did not know what was exactly required, I just saw that it was required for compil.

For zlib etc... included in code, I think we should keep the copies (even if not using them). Removing them may be complex 'cause it would also require makefile stuff updates...
I'd like to be as close as possible form original source code for maintenance

For additional package, do you mean an "identical" blast package with just binaries renamed. to avoid conflicts? to be used in place of "basic" package?

Olivier

Tim Booth <avarus@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I'm having a look at the package now.  I've pushed some changes to SVN
> already - I hope you don't mind.  To explain...
Thanks for getting the review process started!  I'll give more feedback
once I've had time to take a closer look at the packaging, but in the
meantime here's my take on the points you've raised.

> I don't think you need to repack the source in this case.  The
> guidelines say to rename the tarball file, but not to change the
> contents unless there is a pressing reason to do so.  I've tweaked the
> rules file to work with the pristine source.
Indeed; while there's no need for the convenience copies of zlib, bzlib, or
libpcre, their presence poses no legal complications, so it should suffice
to document them in debian/copyright.  For that matter, there's also no
need to spell out "-plus."

> Do we really need all boost libs installed to build and run correctly?
No, libboost-test-dev should suffice, and even then only if you want to
build (and presumably run) the test suite.  I also see no need for build
dependencies or explicit runtime dependencies on shared libraries.

> I don't think we can get away with having this package conflict with
> blast2.
Right, coexistence would be better, and I like the renaming idea.  That
said, I would consider alternatives and diversions to be legitimate
possibilities as well; likewise for shipping an additional package that
just arranges by whatever means for rpsblast et al. to run BLAST+ binaries.

-- Aaron M. Ucko, KB1CJC (amu at alum.mit.edu, ucko at debian.org) http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu