Re: How to check Bio-Linux package selections

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 08:03:42PM +0100, Tony Travis wrote:

> I just use "dpkg" to set the selections, I then install them using:
>
>   aptitude -f install

This is hackish anyway.

>> The list of packages can be a meta-package.  You could either write one from
>> scratch, or modify the Debian Med blends packages.  It would not be too
>> difficult to unbrand or rebrand them.
>
> Yes, I've thought of creating a meta-package - One thing that has
> stopped from doing that me so far is not knowing how to create a package
> dependency tree and how to prune off all the lower level dependencies
> that could be installed automatically. A meta-package containing an
> exhaustive list of all the required packages would not be an elegant
> solution, would it?

I have no idea what you mean here.  The metapackage should not contain
lower level dependencies - just the packages you want to install.
Everything else is done by apt.  If you simply build the source of the
Debian Med packages (using "make dist" in the unpackaged source tree)
after having adjusted the target distribution you get a metapackage for
Bio-Linux (because we just are using those Depends from packages which
are not yet in Debian - we call it prospective packages).  If you use a
different target distribution you will get different metapackages and
can compare their list of Recommends.  The metapackage creation process
is automated and and just includes what is in the package file of the
target distribution - so everything you might seeking for is there.
(It might make sense to remove those tasks you are not interested in
before you start make dist.)

I remember you regarded Debian as to complicated - but sometimes there
are tools which are really helpful. :-)

Feel free to ask if some details remain unclear.