Re: How to check Bio-Linux package selections

Le Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:49:57AM +0100, Tony Travis a écrit :

> I wanted to make sure that 'biobuntu' was as close to Bio-Linux as
> possible, but based on Ubuntu instead of Debian. I wrote a script
> "dpkg-dsel" to compare the 'dselect' selections of two machines or to
> compare the current selections of one machine with a reference list of
> package selections obtained from the installation media.

Dear Tony,

comparing the output of “dpkg --get-selections” will not only reflect the
difference of what the “bio” pakcages need, but also the differences between
Debian and Ubuntu in general, plus the differences in the way they were
installed.

I feel that it would be simpler to rely on APT than on dpkg, by having a list
of packages that are required for your system to be a “biobuntu”, and letting
APT pull everything else that is necessary.  That will also help you to upgrade
from one Ubuntu release to the others.

The list of packages can be a meta-package.  You could either write one from
scratch, or modify the Debian Med blends packages.  It would not be too
difficult to unbrand or rebrand them.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy