Re: FreeShim packaging

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 09:08:49AM +0200, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> Came across FreeShim.
>
> It is stated that packages exist for Debian and Ubuntu
>
> http://freeshim.org/download/
>
> It lists an Ubuntu PPA and corresponding packages.

Yes.

> I can't seem to find the package in Debian.

There is no such package in Debian - the provided package in PPA might
work (or not - I have not tested, but I expect it wor work).

> What confuses me is the fact that there is a Debian-med team on launchpad
> which seems to operate a Debian-med PPA (personal package archive)

Well, you probably can register such a PPA and I vaguely remember that
somebody said he would like to do this.  I'm sorry, but I'm a bit PPA
ignorant.

> How is this team related to Debian-med and this the place to get Debian to
> Ubuntu converted packages ?

I have no problem with this if it helps - but it should definitely be
documented in some reasonable place.

> In the Debian-med taks pages there it is listed as unofficial package
> https://launchpad.net/~rufustfirefly/+archive/ppa/+buildjob/2489799/+files/shim_0.1.1-1ubuntu2~maverick_all.deb

Yes, that's correct.  This is our way to try to help users if we are
behind the packaging efforts but have not finished.

> It seems there were some packaging issues with the prior version.
> as indicated here : http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2011/01/msg00007.html
>
> Have those been solved ? Any clarification is appreciated.

We are trapped with Java-Maven issues.  The shim package on PPA builds
with network connection and downloads 40MB compressed java stuff from
the net when building.  This is a no go for Debian packages.  We need to
sort out all the Java dependency mess.  From a quick overlook several
package dependencies are there - but definitely not all.  (Do you
remember Mayam - it is quite the same :-()

So the answer is: If there is a Java educated volunteer who works on
this stuff it might speed up things drastically.  Otherwise I'm working
on it slowly because I can not work on all this stuff exclusively.