Re: Next Maven problem (Was: Medical device support for GNUmed)

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 08:28:45PM -0400, Jeff Buchbinder wrote:
> Another way of dealing with it is simply caching all of the required
> packages locally, then doing something like this:
>
> find . | grep debian/.m2 | grep jar$  | cut -d/ -f2- >
> debian/source/include-binaries
>
> to cache all of the dependencies. The "magic" I had been using to
> create the settings file was:
>
> create_maven_settings:
> 	echo "<settings xmlns=\"http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0\";
> xmlns:xsi=\"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance\";
> xsi:schemaLocation=\"http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0
> http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.1.0.xsd\";>" >
> debian/maven-settings.xml
> 	echo "<localRepository>`pwd`/debian/.m2</localRepository>" >>
> debian/maven-settings.xml
> 	echo "<offline>true</offline>" >> debian/maven-settings.xml
> 	echo "</settings>" >> debian/maven-settings.xml

I have seen this in your rules file.  While this finally leads to a
*.deb of some sort this will not work for the official Debian repository
because there is a strict requirement to build without external sources
(be them cached or not).

> If you create the file without offline == true, execute "mvn -s
> debian/maven-settings.xml"  for targets clean and package, everything
> should be okay. It's not necessarily the cleanest method, but it
> should allow offline building. Especially without individually
> packaging every dependency, which can not only be a real pain, but can
> be very difficult, since many projects have odd and unusual
> dependencies.

I'm not against pragmatic solutions which work and if this solves your
specific problem to ship shim as easily installable *.deb that's OK.
However, for an inclusion into Debian we need to go the hard and stony
way.  For instance it is a no go to have some code which is not covered
by a license statement in debian/copyright (which is for those cached
projects in your method the case).

I have the feeling that 2011 might be the year of Java applications in
Debian Med and perhaps we might make some progress in pushing things a
bit foreward.  Please keep us informed about any news in shim and
meanwhile we try to work out ways to get the predependencies packaged.