Re: Working on cdbfasta package

Le Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 06:20:01PM +0100, Tim Booth a écrit :

> 1) If I build the package with 'fakeroot debian/rules binary-arch' it
> works fine.  If I build with 'debuild' the two manpages end up being
> empty (I'm generating them with help2man) and lintian gripes.  Any idea
> what the difference might be, before I go and dig further?
>
> 2) I'm getting a lintian warning about being statically linked to Zlib,
> but as far as I can tell this is a false positive, as the detection is
> just done by looking for strings in the binary file and zlib is
> dynamically linked according to ldd.  I'm therefore ignoring this right
> now.

Dear Tim,

if you have time, please report the Zlib false positive to the lintian
maintainers, so that the tool can be corrected.

For the manpages, I observed the problem but had difficulties to reproduce it.
Perhaps it is a race condition where the “manpages” target is executed before
cdbfasta cdbyank are compiled.  One solution would be to modify your patch
to the upstream Makefile.  On the other hand, unless you intend to submit that
patch upstream and hope have it accepted, you can make the manpages through
a debhelper override instead of patching the makefile.  Something like
the following:

override_dh_installman:
	help2man --no-discard-stderr --version-option=-v cdbfasta | sed 's/^Invalid argument:.*//' > cdbfasta.1
	help2man --no-discard-stderr --version-option=-v cdbyank | sed 's/^Invalid argument:.*//' > cdbyank.1
	dh_installman cdbfasta.1 cdbfasta.1

By the way, I would recommend to pass --no-info to help2man.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,