From: Andreas Tille [mailto:andreas@an3as.eu]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 12:51 AM
To: browning@uw.edu; Debian Med Project List
Subject: BEAGLE Genetic Analysis for Debian Med

Dear Brian,

I'm writing on behalf of the Debian Med project which tries to assemble Free
Software for bio-medical research in a ready to install form inside the
Debian GNU/Linux system (and thus as a consequence into Ubuntu).
Your product BEAGLE Genetic Analysis Software Package[1] is used in the
famous Beast phylogenie software and thus we would try to package it as
precondition for it.

Unfortunately it can not be added to main Debian repository without being
open source.  On you website you provide ready builded JAR files with a
license:

  You may download and use the BEAGLE executable file for non-commercial
  and commercial research.   BEAGLE is distributed on an "AS IS" basis.

For an inclusion into Debian we need the source code and the permission to
change the source code.  Typical licenses are GPL, LGPL or BSD.  If you
would consider to provide the source under a free license we hope to be able
to make your program even more popular in the bio-medical researchers world
because Debian and its bio-medical derivatives seem to become more and more
interesting by assembling a useful set of tools which covers all workfields
in Biology.  What is more the community could help with fixing any bugs in
your application and maintain the code for future.

Kind regards,

    Andreas.

[1] http://faculty.washington.edu/browning/beagle/beagle.html