Re: Looking for a DD to upload mummy

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:39:03AM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> > Perhaps hoping is not enough - just explaining the reason why it makes
> > sense if we were able to write a proper watch file to always get the
> > latest and greatest of their software straight into Debian might be
> > better than hoping.
>
> I simply have no idea how to write a watch file with a git URL. uscan reports:
>
> uscan warning: Unknown protocol in debian/watch, skipping:
>   git://public.kitware.com
>
> I know a watch file is really helpful, but I am totally clueless on
> even how to start writing one.

Well, I was arguing to write a watch file *after* upstream was convinced
to set up a proper web page mentioning the latest released version and
at best provide this version as tarball (rather than just a VCS export).

If upstream does not agree to this you might have some luck with finding
a reasonable web page in the git repository which mentions a usable tag.
I found some workaround for SVN here:

   svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/libjebl2-java/trunk/debian

For watch you need a http-address from were you can specify a version
number in a regular expression.  If git does not provide this in some
way you are probably lost without upstreams help.

> > It is a good idea to have some good relation with
> > our upstreams which starts with proper communication.
>
> I do have pretty good relation with upstream. David C. always
> responded in a timely manner when preparing the debian package of
> mummy+ActiViz.NET.

Fine - just ask him to make a versioned tarball downloadable via http.

> > I did not used dh_make since a long time.  Perhaps somebody should
> > check whether the latest dh_make regards DEP5 instead of missleading
> > packagers all the time.  If not writing a bug report (wishlist or
> > minor) would make perfectly sense.
>
> Ok. Will ask on debian-devel.

Thanks