Re: Ginkgo CADx

On Thursday 10 March 2011 09:35:04 Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 09:29:13AM +0100, Hilbert, Sebastian wrote:
> > What could be a solution in that case. Before patching Debian packages
> > (if at all possible)
>
> That *is* possible but would still be per-package. The
> package build process would apply those patches. It would
> need persuading package managers that
>
> a) the patch is well tested and applies cleanly

Guess it depends on who makes that statement. We will see what the Ginkgo
people have to say.

> b) upstream (so far) refuses to apply it for silly reasons

They have not refused but indicated implied that larger patches have a lower
chance of getting in for the obvious reasons.

The patch could do some conflicting stuff, break stuff, add new features etc.
All reasonable. I will wait for the Gingko guy to reply and ask them to talk
to the wx guys (submit their patch to the wx trac) . If that works out great,
if not they could be asked to talk to the Debian package maintainers.

> c) the patch has the smallest possible impact

This is best left to a conversation between the involved parties. I sure hope
a dicussion can be initiated.

> d) someone will work on keeping the patch in sync

Ideally the Ginkgo guys. Time will tell.

Sebastian