Re: archiving DICOM imagery for human consumption

Martin,

  As other might have suggest, I would also really suggest you keep
your DICOM file as such.
Why:
- There are very good viewers for DICOM already (free & open-source):
Slicer3d, dicomscope, aeskulap
- DICOM is not an image format, this is a document that contains
-often- an image. Even if you case seems relatively easy, I bet you
your DICOM file are referencing each other. This is very important to
link image together
- as said above, this DICOM file is document. It contains the
Window/Level for displaying the image on the screen. Changing that
window/level may impatc professional interpretation of the image, and
could have had some impact on your recovery
and last but not least , how cool & geeky is it, to be able to inspect
the MR Image Storage DICOM instance and check what was the actual MR
Sequence used (what is the flip angle, echo train, relaxtion time) !
Use gdcmdump to inspect the object.

2cts

--
Mathieu