Re: No good user experience of Debian (Was: Packaging r-bioc-simpleaffy)

On 01/03/11 18:56, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
On Tuesday 01 March 2011 01:37:23 Tony Travis wrote:
On 28/02/11 22:59, Andreas Tille wrote:

Hi all,

I missed the beginning of the thread but neverthelesse I would like to chip in
a few thoughts as well.

The goal seems to be to make Debian as attractive to a biologist as MS. Worthy
goal but

1) When you decide to use Debian (for whatever reason) you accept the
responsibilities and ideas behind it (like it or not)

So if Debian decides (usually for good reasons) to exclude something then it
is their decision and one has to live with it when one *decides* to use
Debian.

Hi, Sebastian.

The beginning of the thread was a joke by Steffen Moeller on Debian-Med that I might be persuaded to return to Debian from Ubuntu...

Andreas posted his response to my comments on Debian-Med here instead because it seemed like a more appropriate forum.

In fact, I did decide to use Debian long before Ubuntu existed and for good reasons. In particular, cross-platform support on SPARC and x86.

What's frustrated me is that it seems to be a lot more difficult than I first realised to put the Bioconductor repository as deb packages into Debian according to the accepted policy. The issue of making Debian (or Ubuntu) attractive to biologists is a side issue. However, it was a topic that I raised at the recent Debian-Med sprint in Travemuende.

In my opinion, there is very little difference between Debian and Ubuntu at the technical level. Someone, somewhere, suggested that Ubuntu is Debian untested. I think that is a bit unfair, but it's true that Ubuntu is nothing without Debian. However, when introducing naive users to Debian and Ubuntu their reactions are quite different because Ubuntu seems like a credible alternative to M$ but Debian does not.

In the struggle to win the hearts and minds of biologists to use Bio-Linux instead of M$ Windows we've introduced them to Ubuntu, not Debian. Bio-Linux was originally based on Red-Had Linux, then Debian Sarge. At this point, I created 'biobuntu' using the Debian packages from Bio-Linux4 and the Ubuntu Dapper (6.06 LTS) live CD:

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/biobuntu

The UK NEBC (Natural Environment Research Council Environmental Bioinformatics Centre), the creators of Bio-Linux, then developed Bio-Linux5 based on Ubuntu Hardy (8.04 LTS) and I helped them instead of developing 'biobuntu' any further. Now, NEBC have released 64-bit Bio-Linux6, and one objective of our Debian-Med meeting was to foster collaboration between Debian-Med and Bio-Linux. The snag, for me, is that I want to continue using Ubuntu not Debian. That, in itself, is not a big problem. However, it raises the question of why I feel so strongly that the user experience really does matter.

2) If you *decide* that you want to use Debian and *not accept* Debian's
decision then you are on your own to find clever ways to circumvent the
problems (e.g. set up your own repositories to fill the gap) but you cannot
expect the Debian people to change their mind.

Although I used Debian a lot in the past, I now use Ubuntu. I attended the sprint because want to learn how to work in a way that facilitates cooperation between the two. I have very little experience of Debian policy (intent) or politics (how collective decisions are made) so this is all new to me. I don't expect Debian to change, I was trying to explain to Steffen and Andreas why I don't want to return to Debian, from Ubuntu but I do want to work on projects that are relevant to both.

It is well know that having strict principles will not make your life easier.
So the goal should not be to change Debian until it will meet the principles
of MS so your problems will go away but educate biologists that the tradeoff
is worth it.

That's rather patronising, and not helpful to my argument. I don't think biologists are stupid people - I used to be a biologist :-)

If one (biologist) does not *want* to accept the tradeoffs imposed by Debian
one should rather look for alternatives or stay with MS. There is little to be
gained *making* people like Debian without them *genuinely* accepting its
principles.

I'm not suggesting that we make anyone do anything. I don't know where you got that impression from. In my experience most biologists are pragmatic and they use whatever tools are available. Rather than just accepting trade-offs imposed by Debian, I want biologists to get the best experience possible. The point I raised with Andreas is that IMHO the user experience of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is 'better' than Debian 6. Of course we know that it's all practically the same under the GUI, but I don't think I'm alone in believing that a good user experience matters.

See. I would like to make my electric car go 900 km per charge like my diesel
car. Well I either accept the fact that this currently is not possible and
start to like my electric car or I stay with my diesel car. I am not going to
lure diesel car drivers into an electric car well knowing that they will
dislike the experience. And neither will I pressure the electric car maker to
add a diesel engine so the diesel car drivers will feel at home. It is all
about decisions.

Sorry, I think you've taken my comments the wrong way...

I personally have stoped to *talk people into Linux*. They either find their
way themselves (and I will provide support) or they will stay with Windows.

I work as a bioinformatician (formerly a biologist) and most often I encounter people who try to use M$ Windows to do bioinformatics, but reach a point where they realise that they can't go any further. I would not dream of "talking" anyone into using Linux. That's not what my comments were about. They were about expectations that M$ Windows users have about how to use a computer. I want to help them use Linux without them having to climb up a steep learning curve. The issue is not about 'converting' M$ Windows users to our cause, it's about why I believe that Ubuntu meets M$ Windows users expectations better than Debian. As I said before, I don't want to start an advocacy debate.

As for the NX example. They went closed source recently.  And if they really
wanted they could make it run on gcj and IcedTea.So it would be worth the
effort to kindly ask them to make it work on Debian.

I've got an iMac at home running Ubuntu and I use the "qtnx" client on it because there is no free-as-in-beer Nomachine NX client for PowerPC Linux. However, we use the FreeNX server in Bio-Linux. The problem was with Nomachine's Java 'helper' applet. Most of the biologists who use our NuGO machines use a web browser to run the 'helper' applet, which checks/updates the native NX client on their M$ Windows or Mac client.

What was such a disaster for me at the meeting in Florence was that they were familiar with this working well from $M Windows but saw how many problems we encountered doing the same thing under Debian. It was an uncomfortable moment. The computer lab now runs M$ WIndows :-(

But I probably totally missed the point.

Maybe, a little :-)

Bye,

  Tony.