Re: gbrowse2 package

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 05:13:36PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 09:01:30AM +0100, Olivier Sallou a écrit :
> > Hi Charles,
> > could you tell me which command you used ?
> >
> > I tried with pbuilder:
> >
> > pbuilder build gbrowse_2.26-1.dsc
>
> Hi Olivier,
>
> I used sbuild…
>
> I will not have time today, but I will also try with pbuilder later.

I used pbuilder the following way:

  $ sudo pbuilder update
  $ tar -xzf *.orig.tar.gz
  $ cp -a <path_to_packaging>/debian GBrowse-2.26
  $ cd GBrowse-2.26
  $ pdebuild

This creates successfully a package where I have the following
issues:

  1. Scripts in /bin should be in /usr/bin and should not contain the
     *.pl extension (this was discussed several times on mailing lists -
     feel free to ask for more detailed reasons)
     Lintian:
     W: gbrowse: script-with-language-extension bin/bed2gff3.pl

  2. The only reason for an arch dependant package seems to be
      /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Bio/Graphics/Browser2/CAlign/CAlign.so
     It is not a good idea to have a package of large size (10MB) with
     only one single small file which is arch dependant.  So it is
     advisable to split this up in a reasonable manner.  I'd suggest
     to move /usr/share/gbrowse2/databases into a separate package
     gbrowse-data (arch=all).  This makes a sensible split and should
     be not to large in size for the arch=any part (remember:  All
     arch=any packages are ported to >10 architectures and mirrored
     to an order of at least 1000 mirrors world wide.  We should do
     our share to nowaste these resources.

  3. There is no need to provide a file
       /usr/share/doc/gbrowse/INSTALL.gz
     Hey, tha package *is* installed, right?  If there are some things
     to do left, just mention it in README.Debian

  4. The init scripts do not support dependency based boot:

W: gbrowse: init.d-script-has-bad-start-runlevel /etc/init.d/gbrowse-slave 28
W: gbrowse: init-d-script-stops-in-s-runlevel /etc/init.d/gbrowse-slave
E: gbrowse: init.d-script-missing-dependency-on-remote_fs /etc/init.d/gbrowse-slave: required-start
E: gbrowse: init.d-script-missing-dependency-on-remote_fs /etc/init.d/gbrowse-slave: required-stop

  5. Some other important lintian issues:

E: gbrowse: package-installs-packlist usr/lib/perl5/auto/GBrowse/.packlist
W: gbrowse: package-contains-upstream-install-documentation usr/share/doc/gbrowse/INSTALL.gz
W: gbrowse: embedded-javascript-library usr/share/gbrowse2/htdocs/js/prototype.js
W: gbrowse: embedded-javascript-library usr/share/gbrowse2/htdocs/js/scriptaculous.js

Thanks for your work on this package and keep on asking if you need
help in one of the issues mentioned above