Re: Application and Inter-Application Tasks for GSoC and Debian Science/Med

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I am not sure I would have time or skill for this project, but a system that
> allows to tap in snapshots.debian.org to share configurations using strictly
> identical versions of some software would probably please some of our users.

I would second such an idea for the project -- we thought about
similar idea about "snapshotting" the system by recording all installed
versions of software (for restoration from snapshots.debian.org) +
optionally etckeeper's snapshot of configuration.  And later on pair
such functionality with ability to unroll such system into a chroot
(possibly on non-Debian linux).

> Another project, actually complementary, for which I am sure I do not have the
> ability, would be to let users easily install Debian packages in their home
> directory. This would be especially useful on shared workstations.

;-) and this one sounds interesting to me as well.