Splitting med-bio: real soon now.

[Answering on the main mailing list as it is of general interest]

Le Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 11:16:25PM +0200, Steffen Moeller a écrit :

> What came to mind was that a "med-bio-headless" would be real great to
> have, in analogy to the default-jre-headless, i.e. allowing/supporting
> no graphics. I could prepare that, but would like to have your OK for
> it, first. Also, I thought you'd possibly like to take that as a concept
> for the blends at large and discuss it there, too.

Hi Steffen,

I think that there is a consensus. Also, it is something I have promised
for a long time.

I will put this on top of my priority list, now that I finished procrastinating
with ikiwiki.

I wonder if we need some transition, like having the old med-bio package
depending on the two new ones, before being removed one release later?

For the names of the new packages, we can either clearly differentiate them, like:

 - med-bioinformatics: Command lines tools for bioinformatics
 - med-graphical-sequence-analysis: Graphical tools for sequence analysis and molecular biology

or we can have one graphical and one command line package with the same base name.

 - med-bio-headless: Command line tools for bioinformatics
 - med-bio-gui: Graphical tools for sequence analysis and molecular biology

A third possibility, perhaps closer to Steffen's proposition, is to have the gui
package include the headless one:

 - med-bio-headless: Command line tools for bioinformatics
 - med-bio: Tools for bioinformatics and molecular biology

(in all the cases, since the scope of the med-bio package grew beyond
microbiology, I recommend to take the opportunity to change its description).

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan