Re: Open source 3D medical imaging software using wxPython (repeated)

Hi again Tatiana,

now I have a bit more time to follow the links and give a more concrete
answer.  I'm currently on a Debian Edu (like Debian Med but not for
medicine but for schools) workshop and we have only network connection
at the venue not in the accomodation - thus I was in a hurry yesterday.

I also CC the Debian Med mailing list because I think there was no
private information in your mail and we need to inform our medical
imaging experts.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 01:57:24PM -0200, Tatiana Al-Chueyr wrote:

> I've just created a wiki page [4] explaining how to checkout the source code.
>
> This way anyone from Debian Med can access the source code, until we
> have a more elegant solution.

That's great.  I just checked out the SVN repository.  It is great to
know that the code is GPL.

> Understood and agreed. Does the solution above solve this problem?

Yes.

> > Another thing is that there are Debian tools (uscan) which automatically
> > check for new versions of software.  This will not work if the source
> > tarball is not publicly available.
>
> Can we consider "publicly available" the instructions on the wiki page [4]?

Yes.

> > That's your choice.  Any publicly available place.
> >

> I've uploaded it to [5]. Please, let me know if there are any problems.

This is the most helpful think you did because this way we can see the
source tarball + packaging.  (A cosmetical issue: The trac system
prevents dget from working properly because you need to append
"?format=raw" to get the plain *.dsc file and dget has some problem
with this - but I managed to get *.dsc, *.diff.gz and *.orig.tar.gz
via wget which is fine.)

> Does uscan support svn authentication?

No it does not.  Uscan is scanning *released* versions and you need to
release a new source tarball with a new version to let uscan realise
this.  In so far uploading a new version to [5] would perfectly suffice
to let us track new versions.

> > Ahh, thanks.  That's very important.  So if it is simply GPL is there
> > any reason not to use a repositiry like SourceForge or Savannah also for
> > the source tarball?
> >

> We'd rather have only one repository, if possible... If the solution
> presented above doesn't solve the problem, then we can consider other
> possibilities.

That's perfectly fine, if you release the tarballs as in [5] there is
no need to change your workflow.

> > That's really great and you should make sure that you will not irritate
> > people who helped your project.  So please make sure that they will
> > agree to the fact that the source will be available without registration
> > when it will be packaged for Debian.
> >
> They've agreed. :)

Fine,

> I guess the main reason for the registration in the BPSP is due to
> statistical analysis. Do you have any control of how many people
> downloaded a certain package, where they came from, etc (e.g.
> information retrieved by Google Analytics)? In this case, could you
> share with us this information?

The requirement is perfectly valid and not unknown.  Debian has the
package popularity-contest.  If a user installs this package - and we
really recommend to do so - and enables submitting this data, we have
some statistical information to [6].  On the Debian Med tasks pages we
are publishing the results of popcon of our packages in the tasks.  For
instance if you look at [7] you can have a look into the second column
of the header (just above the "Versions and Archs" button) and you see
how many users really use the package (not only have it installed and
let it rot on the harddisk) and how many of them recently updated to a
new version.  Moreover the link there leads to a graph which displays
the history of popcon.

> > I think the procedure is like this:
> >
> >  - verify that there is no problem with publishing the source
> Done

:-)

> >  - publish the source in case it will be accepted
> Apparently done - please, confirm if this is ok

Confirmed. Thanks!

> >  - publish the packaging stuff for the Ubuntu packages (*.dsc, *.diff.gz)
> Apparently done - please, check this

Confirmed.  Just did a first test build which resulted in a Debian
package.  I will see whether I'll find some time for polishing the
packaging stuff to meet Debian packaging standards.  However the result
of my packaging might need some testing because I have no real testcase
for medical imaging.  I think I'll commit the packaginig stuff to the
Debian Med SVN [8] where we just keep the debian directory + Patches.  I
would recommend that you ask for a guest account on alioth.debian.org
and join the Debian Med project[9].  This will give you write
permissions to the packaging stuff and you are free to add also your
Ubuntu packaging (with separate changelog entries) to this.  So we are
able to coordinate the packaging quite closely and can be sure that
Debian policy will be met.

> Although I'm the team leader, I'm not the responsible for the Debian
> packing. I've read most of the instructions on the Guide, and I'll ask
> Thiago (the one who built InVesalius' .deb) to follow these steps. Who
> will be the Debian Med sponsor of InVesalius?

Well, we do not yet have a final name.  I would love if those with
medical imaging fame would volunteer.  But I might start working on
polishing a bit and if nobody volunteers I might also sponsor the
package myself.  Just let us coordinate on Debian Med list.

> (a) Will you have a copy of the source code at a Debian Med
> repository? How could we sync both repositories?

If a package will be uploaded it is uploaded with source *and* binary.
So in any case there will be a copy of the released tarball on the
Debian mirror.  The synchronisation is done by the maintainer.  In the
optimal case the maintainer is informed by an uscan cron job about a new
version.  He fetches the new version, builds the package and uploads
source and binary.  Alternatively one of your developers builds the
package and informs his sponsor to check the packaging and upload.

> (b) Where will the .deb etc be available? At the Debian official repository?

Sure.  Debian Med IS Debian.  We actually care for official Debian
packages and they are available on any mirror.

Feel free to ask any further question on the Debian Med list.

[6] http://popcon.debian.org/
[7] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging
[8] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/#_trunk_packages_
[9] https://alioth.debian.org/projects/debian-med/