Re: Please proofread paper

Hi Michael and Yaroslav,

many thanks for your changes.  For you and others who might consider
working on this text: Feel free to commit directly to SVN - I'll watch
the changelogs anyway and reverting / changing afterwards is as easy as
applying your patches.  So if it better fits your workflow just commit
directly.

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 02:26:26AM -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> just minor changes in addition to Michael's to progress bit forward:
> patch attached.  Of cause feel free to discard ;) ediff mode in
> emacs makes it very easy to do selectively ;)  I also embedded few
> comments.

Thanks also for the comments.  I'll address some of them here in this
mail because they are relevant in general not only in the paper:

  enable selection of niche software collections Debian Med, right after
  a fresh installation of a general Debian system.
  % yoh: don't we want ideally "during a fresh installation of a Debian system"?

The problem is discussed in the Blends documentation at

  http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ch-technology.en.html#s-text_ui

and in the log of bug #186085.  I'm not really happy about this but on
the other hand the reasoning to not include Blends in the initial
tasksel interface makes some sense.  We should continue this discussion
on the debian-blends@l.d.o mailing list.  Perhaps there are some chances
for d-i hooks somehow or other things.

> I agree with Michael's comment that more glue and flow-shaping would be
> beneficial.

Definitely.  I'm also not completely happy.  The paper is a result of
"branching an older paper" to save some time which is definitely not
optimal.  It would be better to have a CUP (Constantly Usable Paper ;-))
which serves as Debian Med documentation.  The problem is that without
real pressure there are so many other interesting things to do than
writing on the docs ...

> Also, I think it is time to escape from GNU/Linux box...
> Debian doesn't solely consists of GNU, neither it is solely Linux
> (thanks to various ports).  I know that our front page says that we
> should call it GNU/Linux... but it is indeed a 'universal FOSS operating
> system', thus not just GNU and not just Linux.

I perfectly agree - but this is OT here and should be directed to
debian-devel@l.d.o.

> Therefore some of
> my changes removed GNU/Linux boxing where imho appropriate.

Yes.  I commited basically all your and Michael's changes and added you
both as authors.  I also wonder whether you see some reasonable chance
to add a subsection about NeuroDebian.  I would feel this very
appropriate but do not know how you would this and I had no real clue
where it fits best (in this not so nicely flow-shaped text).

Many thanks for your comments