Re: Change InsightToolkit to use Review/Statistics?

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 16:36 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:43:03PM -0400, Paul Novotny wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 23:04 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
>
> > > I'm considering switching to the new refactored Statistics classes in
> > > ITK.  This is an API-breaking move so I'd like to hear of any concerns
> > > before implementing this.
> > >
> > > The change would be done for version 3.20 of InsightToolkit (currently
> > > stuck in the NEW queue) and not for version 3.18.  So this is not
> > > targeted for squeeze.
> > >
> > > My main motivation for doing this is to enable packaging elastix
> > > (http://elastix.isi.uu.nl/).  Note also that ITK 4.0 will use
> > > the new statistics so code has to change eventually; this would
> > > just force the change one version earlier as 3.20 is the last
> > > release destined for ITK 3.x.
>
> I've started on adding Review/Statistics.  Then I learned that elastix
> requires other pieces of Review, so I ended up adding all of Review.
>
> > Adding Review means you can also add WrapITK. Something I think is a
> > good idea, but others may not.
>
> I took your suggestion and am now building with USE_WRAP_ITK=ON.
>

> > Although, one issue that comes up is what dimensions and datatypes to
> > wrap. I use a lot of datatypes in my work, plus 4D data, so the package
> > gets over 100MB, and much larger when installed. It might be nice to
> > have multiple packages to pick from depending on your needs?
>
> Yeah, I see what you mean.  My initial trial just sets
> "USE_WRAP_ITK=ON" and the default set of wrappings which includes 2
> and 3 dimensions.  I gather you add dimension=4.  What other
> datatypes do you add?

Here are the datatypes I turned on, I also attached my entire
CMakeCache.txt.debian file.

WRAP_complex_double:BOOL=OFF
WRAP_complex_float:BOOL=ON
WRAP_covariant_vector_double:BOOL=OFF
WRAP_covariant_vector_float:BOOL=ON
WRAP_double:BOOL=OFF
WRAP_float:BOOL=ON
WRAP_rgb_unsigned_char:BOOL=ON
WRAP_rgb_unsigned_short:BOOL=ON
WRAP_signed_char:BOOL=OFF
WRAP_signed_long:BOOL=OFF
WRAP_signed_short:BOOL=ON
WRAP_unsigned_char:BOOL=ON
WRAP_unsigned_long:BOOL=OFF
WRAP_unsigned_short:BOOL=ON
WRAP_vector_double:BOOL=OFF
WRAP_vector_float:BOOL=ON

I am in the middle of packaging 3.20 myself for Ubuntu. I can send you
the sources when I get it working, if you want.
# This is the Kickstart CMakeCache file for the Debian build of ITK.
# Only those settings that are changed from the default are specified.

// Conform to VTK's setting
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER:STRING=/usr/bin/c++

// Don't build examples now (let the user later)
BUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=OFF

// Build ITK with shared libraries
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=ON

// Don't bother building the testing tree
BUILD_TESTING:BOOL=OFF

// Give us an optimised release build
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=RELEASE

// Install path prefix, prepended onto install directories
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr

// Where to put the doxygen documentation and needed for docstrings in python
DOXYGEN_MAN_PATH:PATH=/usr/share/man

// The code still uses the older #include <iostream.h> style
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=-Wno-deprecated

// We do not want rpath enabled
CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH:BOOL=ON

//Build cswig Java wrapper support
ITK_CSWIG_JAVA:BOOL=OFF

//Build cswig Python wrapper support (requires CableSwig).
ITK_CSWIG_PYTHON:BOOL=OFF

//Build cswig Tcl wrapper support (requires CableSwig).
ITK_CSWIG_TCL:BOOL=OFF

// We haven't packaged this (yet)
ITK_DATA_ROOT:PATH=ITK_DATA_ROOT_NOTFOUND

// Use the system libraries for these
ITK_USE_SYSTEM_JPEG:BOOL=ON
ITK_USE_SYSTEM_PNG:BOOL=ON
ITK_USE_SYSTEM_TIFF:BOOL=ON
ITK_USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB:BOOL=ON
ITK_USE_SYSTEM_GDCM:BOOL=ON

// Enable concept checking
ITK_USE_CONCEPT_CHECKING:BOOL=ON
ITK_USE_STRICT_CONCEPT_CHECKING:BOOL=OFF

//For WrapITK-Python
USE_WRAP_ITK:BOOL=ON
ITK_USE_REVIEW:BOOL=ON
WRAP_ITK_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/lib/python-insighttoolkit

WRAP_ITK_JAVA:BOOL=OFF
WRAP_ITK_PYTHON:BOOL=ON
WRAP_ITK_TCL:BOOL=OFF

WRAP_ITK_DIMS:STRING=2;3;4