Re: Connecting those interested in getting GT.M into theDebianrepositories

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 06:49:51PM -0400, Alan O'Neill wrote:
> I now have a draft version of a Debian installation package for the
> 32-bit version of GT.M that I'd like to submit for your feedback.  Once
> we get any problems ironed out, I'll simply pattern the 64-bit version
> after it.  In the mean time, I thought I'd save myself the double work.

Great that you work on this!

> The package contains the result of running the GT.M 'config' script to
> install GT.M in '/usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.4-000A_x86' with a twist.  To allow
> someone to use 'dpkg -x' without root privileges, I changed the
> permissions on the directories that initially had 555 to 755.  The
> 'postinst' script resets these directories to 555.

Can you please elaborate on this in more detail?

> Although the package contains the .o versions of the MUMPS routines, the
> 'postinst' script recompiles them all.
>
> I don't know whether the internal number for the 'bin' user is
> guaranteed to be '2' on all systems, so the 'postinst' script changes
> ownership of the installed files to root:bin or bin:bin, whichever is
> appropriate.

You probably should not rely on a user id of any user (and so you should
not in the case of bin).  In how far you need to use this user id.

> The 'postinst' script uses update-alternatives to setup 'gtm-su'
> (single-user).  My hope is that we can keep this name (or something
> similar) because I've also been working on a set of scripts, one of
> which is named 'gtm'.  These scripts help to configure a GT.M multi-user
> environment, enter it, etc.  Once the GT.M package is out there, I'd be
> interested in sharing these scripts.

So why not just commiting all the packaging scripts to

   svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/gtm/trunk

as I suggested to use the Debian Med packaging repository.  That way we
are able to verify the packaging and give some hints.  I admit I do not
understand any part of your reasoning above.

> Since I'm not certain precisely how to proceed from here, I'll include
> the postinst script below and ask for the group's feedback on what to do
> next.

It is a bit hard to only see the postinst.

> Also, I've added my public e-mail address of 'alan.oneill@cavtel.net' to
> the Debian Med list, so please feel free to remove my private e-mail
> address that you've been using when you respond.  (I keep these things
> separate because of spam.)

Fine.