Re: Contributing to DebianMed

Hi Misha,

thanks for your interest in Debian Med!

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:46:42PM -0500, Misha Koshelev wrote:
> I have some free time for the next year, and was interested in devoting
> this free time to an open source project that is medicine related.

That's great.

> I have quite a bit of programming experience and am looking mostly to
> make a difference and to contribute.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Especially if you have a specific project/portion that needs
> development, I would be quite interested.

I hope you are aware that in Debian Med we basically do not actual real
"programming" of medical software but rather doing packaging existing
Free Medical Software for Debian.  While this some times requires some
programming skills and understanding of the build system of this
software it is not really a programming job.  On the other hand you
get a great overview about different projects and might help widening
your view for future application of this software.

We have some kind of TODO list at

    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedTodo

(hey, just repeating this hint might not only be interesting for Misha -
some additional screenshots and DDTP translations will never harm ;-)).

> My eventual specialty of interest is diagnostic neuroradiology, but I
> understand that most likely this may not be much represented by
> DebianMed.

Perhaps you might have just detected what we actually have on our web
sentinel at

    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks

If you know free projects in the field of diagnostic neuroradiology we
are keen on hearing what is missing.  If you would not only tell us what
is missing but would even start packaging this for Debian this would be
really great.  Debian Med tries to represent any field which might be
useful in medical care in a wider sense - so your favourite topic fits
quite good.  If you have no idea about packaging but are interested just
let us know.  Luckily over the years we are a quite strong team which is
perfectly able to guide newbees in packaging.