Re: FreeDiams in separate medical data task?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:35:31AM +0200, Eric Maeker wrote:

> >   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/data
>
> Thank you Andreas ! This is a really gooooooooddddd neeeewws !!

Well, it would be *really* good news if the color of the entry would
switch form yellow to green.  The fact that a package is in NEW does not
necessarily mean it will move to unstable in say one week.  Sometimes
it needs pinging ftpmaster - but I'll hope for the best.

> > However, I wonder what you think about the medical data task itself?
> > Would you consider this task as useful?
>
> How do you exactly define this task ?

Good question.  I needed a task where I was able to cleanly put
drugref.org because we attempted packaging and I wanted to support the
project.  Both seems to be moot now - but somehow I was thinking that
FreeDiams fits in the data category best.

> You should be warn that Freemed dev team and FreeMedForms dev team
> will share some work around the drugs interactions database. So I
> think FreeDiams can be also listed in this category. May be with a
> different abstract.

Would you mind writing an abstract (for med-data - we do only have one
shot for FreeDiams because we have only one package description) which
fits your idea.  As you might remember I have quite poor education in
the field of medicine and just have to trust you what might make sense.

> Yes it can be used outside an EMR or even outside a pure medical practice.
> Patients can now test their prescription's interactions AND get an
> explaination of the interactions using a free open source medical
> software.
> Idem for pharmaceutists whose can test and print the interactions of
> prescriptions and explain them to the patient.

This might somehow put it into the direction of med-pharmacy
  http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/pharmacy
but currently this is rather pure chemistry and not patient oriented.

> > If this is not really a practical
> > case I'd consider droping the med-data task.
>
> You can decide with these explanations...

Hmmm, I'm not completely sure.  Perhaps some more input of others might
be interesting.  Karsten is in favour of droping the task (in the
current form).  I do also not really want to stick on it, but the fact
that you might see some chance to redefine the scope let me hesitate
to drop it immediately.