Re: Status of SIGAR (Was: InVesalius packaging)

Hey,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 03:46:20PM -0300, Thiago Franco Moraes wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@fam-tille.de>wrote:
> W: libsigar: package-installs-python-pyc
> usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/sigar.pyc
> N:
> N:    Compiled python source files should not be included in the package.
> N:    These files should be removed from the package and created at package
> N:    installation time in the postinst.
> N:
> N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
>
> How can I only compile in installation time? I'm using this command in rule
> file to install the files:
>
> cd $(CURDIR)/bindings/python && python setup.py install --install-layout=deb
> --root=$(CURDIR)/debian/$(PACKAGE)

I wasn't following this effort before -- forgive me if that had been
talked about before.

Looks like the Python-bindings (and others too) should go into separate
binary packages and be handled by proper tools. pysupport should take
care of all Python-related issue (including the one above).

Is there any reason for this verbose rules file. Both debhelper7 and
cdbs should help a lot with the common cases of packaging (like this
one) and also provide convenient helpers for python packages.

I might be able to help with the general and python-related aspects of
this packaging, but wanted to ask first if there is need to stay close
to the current state?

Right now the packaging looks quite raw -- lots of unused/unedited
files. The rules file only seems to build the python-bindings and none
of the rest -- including the main library -- is that intended?

Given these facts the binary package should be named 'python-sigar'.

Is there a repository for this packaging somewhere? You chose to take an
SVN snapshot (upstream also offers the code in git). Did you just
download that snapshot or have the code in a repository together with
the packaging?

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke