Re: EpiGrass in Debian

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:00:15AM +0000, Flavio Coelho wrote:
> That's not a problem. The documentation is maintained with sphinx. I have
> made a minor release (2.0.3) which includes the REST sorces in the package.
> it's available both at sourceforge and PYPI.

Ahh, that's cool and very helpful for our users because it enables us to
provide the docs in the package.  Many thanks for your very quick reply.

> >  2. Remaining *.pyc and backup files
> >    Your tarball contains some *.pyc and backup files (*~) which is
> >    kind of boring when packaging because the clean target removes
> >    these files and you see several warnings by the packaging tools
> >    about differences in the original tarball and the unpackaged
> >    archive.  My guess these remainings are just an oversight on
> >    your side and I would recommend cleaning the tarball from these
> >    useless files.
> >

> Those are weeded out from the 2.0.3 release

I think there are some remaining *.pyc / *~ files in the tarball and
also the doc contains analysis.rst~ and intromodels.rst~.  Probably
your procedure to create the tarball at

 http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/e/epigrass/epigrass-2.0.3.tar.gz

has a problem.

> I already use sqlalchemy for most my other projects. SQLObject is a legacy
> of the past. I'll replace it by SQLAlchemy eventually, but right now I don't
> have the time to do this.

That's prefectly fine to me.  I just wanted to make sure you will not
ride a dead horse.  If you are aware of this everything is OK.

> >  4. Minor patches
> >    I attached two patches which were created by the former maintainer
> >    of EpiGrass.  Apply them at your gusto to EpiGrass if you consider
> >    them useful.
> >

> I'll look over the patches, thankyou.

You are welcome.

> You're welcome, Thanks for maintaining the package, and for this careful
> report.

That's part of the maintenance job (even if sometimes not regarded as
important as it actually is.