Re: Is anyone interested in packaging VisIt?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:48:44AM +0100, Manuel Prinz wrote:
> I remember having a lot of trouble with it for several reasons. IIRC it
> was some weird build system and included libraries to get rid of. I will
> not have any time to have a second look at it before next month, I
> guess, but could dig for the files if there's interest. They probably do
> not build anything working, I guess.

I'm in favour of commiting this kind of work to our repository provided
that it is acompanied with comments like you made above to keep
potential helpers informed about the status.  This makes sure your work
is not wasted and other takers do not need to start from scratch.

> Even if I give it a second try to package, some co-maintainer would
> certainly be welcome; even better, someone who would take over
> maintainership.

Currently this is not specifically high on my priority list (for
instance I'd prefer getting Mumps / Vista out) but I might spend some
time to check a more or less working package.