Re: Live CD

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 01:27:43PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> > You "just prepared", but the files in SVN
> > (community/infrastructure/livecd) are dated from November last year.
> > Would you mind commiting your work?
>
> now that I learned more, I perceive more needs for discussing about what
> exactly we want. There won't be a single live CD but rather many different
> flavours - with or without KDE workspace for instance.

Sure.  I'd vote for a separate directory for those kinds of flavours.
Just drop a README there and explain what a user might expect when
building a live media with this configuration.

> > What about rather piching from DebiChem:
> >
> >    http://blends.alioth.debian.org/debichem/tasks/
> >
> > You might be able to get a more fine grained selection.
>
> Interesting. How can one script a packages selection from that page?

Well, we can not select from the *page*.  We should convince the
DebiChem people to create metapackages as we do in Debian Med.  The code
is right there (if not we would not have the tasks pages).  It needs
just somebody who builds the metapackages (and I'd feel unpolite to
push this by just doing it myself).  Michael Banck is reading our list
and might comment on this - if not, you might ping him.

> And it is only a few lines of code that prepare the whole image.

No doubt about this, but please commit this anyway.  I'd like to see
somethink like

   $ svn checkout .../livecd/flavour
   $ <build-live-cd>

Why should anybody repeat these lines of code if they are just written.
You have spent some time and knowledge into it.  This should be shared.