Live CD

Hello,

I have just prepared a bootable USB stick with
 * med-bio-dev
 * med-bio + clustalw (non-free) + r-recommended
 * some basic infrastructure (ssh-server, dhcp-client, debfoster,
build-essential, boinc-client, ...)
 * OpenCV with -dev (which is not in debian-med but we use it at our institute
a lot)
	sums up to 1.3GB
 * science-chemistry
	adds another 0.4GB
 * left out science-statistics (too much R, r-recommended is enough) but
 * left out science-mathematics but installed octave3.2 (rather than
science-mathematics' referenced octave3.0)
 	adds <0.1GB

and will feed a small series of diskless servers next week with it.

Science-chemistry is somewhat funny, for instance I certainly do not want
katomic on there - being less worried about katomic itself than I am about all
its dependencies on various kde libraries, but, well they also come via
kalzium. Mightily annoying this is. I let debfoster take care of it.
Nonetheless, I was happy for science-chemistry to be set up.

To me this is now a proof, that with around 2GB one has a sufficiently decent
allround-biomedical-informatics environment:

$ df -h
/dev/sdb1             3,7G  1,8G  1,8G  51% /media/stick

My learning curve over the past two days I have documented here:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/LiveCD
Whoever feels like skimming through it and to make improvements here or there
is very much welcome.

The next step now is to prepare for netboot and then work towards a setup
within the Eucalyptus cloud environment, also describing David's work on
vmbuilder .

Should someone on this list already have experience with a pxelinux setup, then
I would very much prefer being the proof-reader of a description rather than
the first author :)

Many greetings

Steffen