Re: thanks and a question

Hi mitchell,

 Sorry to hear your misfortune with ctn. did you report any of the bugs you mentionned ? Are they easily reproducable ?

Thanks,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM, m laks <mlaks2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
Mathieu,
I am a great fan of debian (i use it on over 50 pcs in my department and home and my parents and siblings use it thanks to me). I use ctn, dcmtk and dcm4che etc. I am a radiologist.

I wanted to thank you for all of your efforts. I have noticed your conversation with david clunie on usenet dicom group. i support your efforts to make things easy to install on debian...

i use mir ctn. i have not switched to dcm4chee although perhaps i should. i have been using it with postgresql (not supported by debian install rosenberg seems to like mysql version).

unfortunately mir ctn is getting old. i have been using 3.04 for the longest time. now some newer images are rejected because the sop classes (extended sr or mammo sr say were not supported. i also had problems with color composite images from a pet scanner.

i used a patch for postgresql to ctn304 i got from sebastian meyer many years ago. there had been a problem with the old ctn postgresql implementation that did not use the indexes to speed up, which was a problem when the database got big and caused unacceptable behavior, which was solved by meyer.

i tried to upgrade recently to ctn306 which according to steve moore had been upgraded to account for this patch, which i sent to him. unfortunately i think there is a problem with quality control these days any more because no one uses it :( and i had, in 1 day of usage in a small office, multiple random failures of devices sending images to ctn306 - cr,us,nm. the failure in each case was truncation in the file the pixel data element 7fe0,0010 which was truncated and missing bytes in the received data.

i immediately just patched 304 to the new elements i needed and went back to it. i may also try using the meyer patch on 306 to see if it works better, over the next couple of days.

we need a good testing structure for ctn. also i am a postgresql person because i find it more robust than mysql and with the changes in ownership of mysql i prefer postgresql even more...

what is your experience, any comments? i have to try out clunies tools as well to see how to use them.
mitchell

--
Mathieu