Re: Link to non-profit organisations sharing our aims

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 06:11:27PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:

> I feel rather good about such a page. Andreas?

Well, because you are addressing me explicitely: I do not have any real
opinion about this.  I will not stop anybody from creating such a page
but I wonder in how far better or more usable code will be written
because such a page exists.  So if you feel good about it - just try it.
It is certainly polite to link to these organisations but if they will
have a real advantage will shown after some time ...

> Internally, from what I observe, those
> organisations are fairly loosely coupled, much like we are. I cannot tell about how many
> more contributors Debian Med will achieve via those routes, at least there will be more
> users. And particularly for the outreach to Africa and Latin America I am very much hoping
> for the support of such organisations.

My experience is that support becomes because people are keen on using
something and become engaged in coding, not because organisations are
linked somewhere.

> What came to mind are tutorials at conferences with
> travel paid by them (also good for key signing). Two years ago at BOSC we discussed the
> collection of tutorials / summer school material by upstream that should go on some Live
> CD as an extension to Debian.

That's obviosely a valuable support because it is just code which can be
executed.  I would welcome this and mentioning this and linking to
something for download seems to be worth the effort.

> This effort then stalled but is revivable any time, it just
> needs the right person to get the right kind of grant through. And we need then to make
> sure that Debian is not understood as a competition to such an effort but perceived as a
> regular medium to reach out. That is what all the funding agencies want to be certain of -
> they want to make a difference - "through us" we should then not even need to shout any more.

This sounds reasonable and perhaps I missinterpreted the first part
of your mail.

Klarmachen zum Ändern!