Re: Enhances field (Was: r1771 - projects/med/trunk/debian-med/tasks)

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 01:54:14PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> I must admit that I was completely unaware of the reverse-suggests. I never used it, but
> you are right. It should be used more.

Definitely.  I'd suggest doing it immediately in SVN if you are aware of cases
where it is missing.

> For our purpose, which is to hide packages from being displayed as individual tasks since
> they have more the character of a helpers' application, the "enhances" is not appropriate.
> E.g. we want to show clustalw even though we show emboss.

Sure.  Every package which is listed in the tasks file will be
explicitely mentioned.  So clustalw as well as emboss are listed when
using the current tasks file. But *if* you would intend to hide clustalw
you could remove it from the tasks dependencies.  It would show up only
where we show Enhances (in whatever form this might be implemented and I
did not made up my mind about an implementation yet).

So it is with your mgltools.  They are not mentioned in the tasks file -
so they do not show up. But *if* they would have the Enhances tag properly
set they could brought into our attention by using some technical means
(which have to be implemented somehow - but as I have shown this is comes
quite cheap with UDD; I have their names, so they are under control).

> While writing, how about (for our tasks specs):
>
> Recommends: autodock
> Hides: autogrid

Well, we just have "Ignore" (see [1]) which is probably what you want.
But "Ignore" is just what it says: it is ignored.  And you also want to
specify an inter-package relation.  Ignore does not build a bridge
between autogrid and autodock - but the Enhances field in the control
file perfectly does.  So adding extra packages using Ignore is a nice
kind of documentation inside the tasks files.  But Enhances is stronger
and enables further processing while Ignore is more kind of a
documentation.

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ap-DevelDescription.en.html

Klarmachen zum Ändern!