Re: more formally indicating the registration URL

Le Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 08:21:30PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> My suggestion was to use the "Remark" field which ends up in these grayish
> additions to a description.

Hi all,

I have been thinking a bit on the issue. How about the following workflow:

 - Create a new file with a ‘Name: contents’ field syntax in the Debian source
   packages, for ‘online meta-data’ that typically require internet access to
   be useful.

 - Write a script to use this file to feed the Ultimate Debian database, that
   would be authoritative. This way, the meta-data does not need to be added to
   the Packages and Source files of the Debian mirrors.

 - Keep the meta-data file up to date in our version control systems, but do
   not trigger an upload only for this. When we will be tired to call the UDD
   updated by hand, we can perhaps write commit hooks for this.

With this workflow, we get the best of all systems we were thinking about:

 - The blends task files get a central point where to find the data.

 - The packages maintainers have an easy way to update the meta-data.

 - Offline users who have access to the source packages have a copy of
   the meta-data that was up to date at the time of the last upload.

The flaw is that it may be difficult in some cases to push meta-data for
packages that we are not maintaining ourselves. But my feeling is that the
packages for which registration is really an issue are in our hands.

If you like the idea, I will wrap up a more detailed proposal, and submit it on
-blends and -science and then on -devel.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,