Re: About FASTX-Toolkit and its possible redistribution in Debian.

Michael Banck wrote, On 07/02/2009 03:01 PM:
Is 4.0 the version of the package or really the library version?  Note
that both are not supposed to be connected to each other.

Thanks for clarifying this.
I'm new in the ways of packaging and dynamic libraries, and apparently I got it wrong.

So let's see if I got it right this time:

The version of the library is 0.4 (MAJOR:MINOR) simply because I've released the (static) library 3 times, each time adding minor features.

To this latest version (0.4), I add the dynamic library build.
The library version stays 0.4, but the dynamic version (CURRENT:REVISION:AGE) starts from 0:0:0.

On the next release (with more features), the library version will 0.5, and the dynamic version will be 1:0:1 ?

Now, about the directory and file names:
should they contain the version number (0.4) ?

I read somewhere online[1] a recommendation to have the version number in the static library file name and the include directory, as so:
/usr/lib/libgtextutils-0.4.a
/usr/include/gtextutils-0.4/gtextutils/*.h

Which will allow multiple versions of the library to co-exist peacefully together (even if we disable the static library for debian, there's still the issue of the include path).

Should I keep this ?

Also, should the '.pc' file be named 'gtextutils-0.4.pc' or 'gtextutils.pc' ?

Thanks,
   Gordon.

[1] http://www.openismus.com/documents/linux/building_libraries/building_libraries.shtml#installingheaders