Re: pvrg sponsoring

Hi!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Mathieu
Malaterre<mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Could someone please sponsor the pvrg package, I have cleanup the
> remaining lintian issues.

Not fully clean :-)
See the attached lintian output.

Wouldn't it be better to have the source package and the binary
package as "pvrg-jpeg" instead "pvrg" only, since pvrg is "Portable
Video Research Group" and you aren't packaging a "group", right? :-)

(The program could also be installed as "pvrg-jpeg" too)

Also, patch the manpage.
Since you are renaming the program to pvrgjpeg, it would be good to
have its manpage also updated (replace jpeg -> pvrgjpeg; for example,
manpage says to type "jpeg -d -s image.jpg", while it should be
patched to "pvrgjpeg -d -s image.jpg")

And while building it, there are a lot of warnings about "implicit
declaration of function".
I didn't verify, but maybe it could fails to build with gcc 4.4
If yes, then you will need to patch the sources to include the needed headers.

Best regards,
Nelson
W: pvrg source: package-uses-deprecated-debhelper-compat-version 4
N:
N:    The debhelper compatibility version used by this package is marked as
N:    deprecated by the debhelper developer. You should really consider using
N:    a newer compatibility version.
N:
N:    The compatibility version can be set in (preferred) debian/compat or by
N:    setting and exporting DH_COMPAT in debian/rules. If it is not set in
N:    either place, debhelper defaults to the deprecated compatibility version
N:    1.
N:
N:    Refer to the debhelper(7) manual page for details.
N:
N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
N:
W: pvrg source: timewarp-standards-version (2008-12-15 < 2009-03-12)
N:
N:    The source package refers to a Standards-Version that was released after
N:    the date of the most recent debian/changelog entry. Perhaps you forgot
N:    to update the timestamp in debian/changelog before building the package?
N:
N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
N:
I: pvrg source: quilt-patch-missing-description cmakelists.txt.patch
N:
N:    quilt patch files should start with a description of patch. All lines
N:    before the start of the patch itself are considered part of the
N:    description. You can edit the description with quilt header -e when the
N:    patch is at the top of the stack.
N:
N:    As well as a description of the purpose and function of the patch, the
N:    description should ideally contain author information, a URL for the bug
N:    report (if any), Debian or upstream bugs fixed by it, upstream status,
N:    the Debian version and date the patch was first included, and any other
N:    information that would be useful if someone were investigating the patch
N:    and underlying problem.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: certain
N:
I: pvrg source: quilt-patch-missing-description marker_o_rdwr.patch
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:7
N:
N:    Manual page seems to contain a hyphen where a minus sign was intended.
N:    "-" chars are interpreted as hyphens (U+2010) by groff, not as minus
N:    signs (U+002D). Since options to programs use minus signs (U+002D), this
N:    means for example in UTF-8 locales that you cannot cut&paste options,
N:    nor search for them easily.
N:
N:    "-" must be escaped ("\-") to be interpreted as minus. If you really
N:    intend a hyphen, write it as "\(hy" to emphasise that fact. See groff(7)
N:    and especially groff_char(7) for details, and also the thread starting
N:    with
N:    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg01481.h
N:    tml
N:
N:    If you use some tool that converts your documentation to groff format,
N:    it might be possible that this tool converts dashes of any kind to groff
N:    hyphens, while the safe way of converting dashes is usually to convert
N:    them to "\-".
N:
N:    Because this error can occur very often we show only the first 10
N:    occurrences for each man page and give the number of suppressed
N:    occurrences. If you want to see all warnings, run lintian with the
N:    -d/--debug option.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: certain
N:
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:9
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:11
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:13
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:15
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:17
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:21
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:23
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:202
I: pvrg: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/pvrgjpeg.1.gz:211
W: pvrg: copyright-lists-upstream-authors-with-dh_make-boilerplate
N:
N:    There is "Upstream Author(s)" in your copyright file. This was most
N:    likely a remnant from the dh_make template.
N:
N:    There's either one upstream author, in which case you should remove the
N:    "(s)", or there are several upstream authors, in which case you should
N:    remove the "(" and ")".
N:
N:    o/~ join us now and carefully edit debian/copyright files! o/~
N:
N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: certain
N:
I: pvrg: extended-description-is-probably-too-short
N:
N:    The extended description (the lines after the first line of the
N:    "Description:" field) is only one or two lines long. The extended
N:    description should provide a user with enough information to decide
N:    whether they want to install this package, what it contains, and how it
N:    compares to similar packages. One or two lines is normally not enough to
N:    do this.
N:
N:    Refer to Debian Developer's Reference section 6.2.1 (General guidelines
N:    for package descriptions) and Debian Developer's Reference section 6.2.3
N:    (The long description) for details.
N:
N:    Severity: minor, Certainty: possible
N: