Re: [Soc-coordination] Official Debian AWS EC2 AMIs?

Hello,

Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> Charles Plessy a écrit :

>>> Creating Debian EC2 images/AMIs and related tools would make a very cool
>>> Google Summer of Code project. Anyone willing to mentor that ?
>>>
>>> <http://wiki.debian.org/gsoc>
>>
>> there is definitely a strong interest in the Debian Med project. The
>> computational needs of biologists are exploding, and cloud computing could be a
>> solution. However, I am already willing to mentor another project, the "Large
>> dataset manager", so whoever is intersted in having official EC2 images, please
>> step up. Otherwise, whether I am available will depend on the success of the
>> other project in getting accepted.
>
> Cool. I work on semantic web research with huge datasets like the whole
> of wikipedia and many researchers use Amazon EC2, like:
> <http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtInstallationEC2>
>
> I have never used it myself. I prefer using my lab's 16-cores beasts ;D
>
>> Lastly, as a caveat I must say that to use the Amazon computer cloud, one has
>> to install some non-free software written in Java…
>
> I suppose the project could include reducing the dependency on these
> non-free tools ? I have no idea at all if this is possible. If you have
> a few minutes free, could you write a few lines in the proposal
> description ?

* Please be aware of some very fine free work done by http://alestic.com/ both for Ubuntu
and Debian. To prepare one's own AMI is not overly difficult, though. I am paying for a
Debian-Med AMI every month but have forgotten the root password :)

* There is a free alternative to the Amazon clouds that is compatibly to the Amazon tools,
even, which is called Eucalyptus http://eucalyptus.cs.ucsb.edu/ . I was in contact with
upstream a few months ago, who said they'd come up with Debian packages any time soon. I
was/am too busy to follow this up much.

I agree the hype all around the clouds to be rather contagious. For a summer project
however I would tend to rather focus on the preparation of data sources rather than on the
middleware.

Best,

Steffen