Re: [Soc-coordination] Official Debian AWS EC2 AMIs?

Charles Plessy a écrit :
> Le Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 09:48:34PM +0100, Obey Arthur Liu a écrit :
>> Edouard Nemours a écrit :
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> i'd love to raise awareness of the fact that many companies and users of
>>> debian hosts move their systems to "the cloud" (for instance amazon ec2).
>>> Recently Ubuntu started developing official Ubuntu EC2 images.
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be nice to have official Debian EC2 images/AMIs, too?
>>> Didn't find any discussion on this topic before.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> --Ed
>> Creating Debian EC2 images/AMIs and related tools would make a very cool
>> Google Summer of Code project. Anyone willing to mentor that ?
>>
>> <http://wiki.debian.org/gsoc>
>
> Hi all,
>
> there is definitely a strong interest in the Debian Med project. The
> computational needs of biologists are exploding, and cloud computing could be a
> solution. However, I am already willing to mentor another project, the "Large
> dataset manager", so whoever is intersted in having official EC2 images, please
> step up. Otherwise, whether I am available will depend on the success of the
> other project in getting accepted.

Cool. I work on semantic web research with huge datasets like the whole
of wikipedia and many researchers use Amazon EC2, like:
<http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtInstallationEC2>

I have never used it myself. I prefer using my lab's 16-cores beasts ;D

> Lastly, as a caveat I must say that to use the Amazon computer cloud, one has
> to install some non-free software written in Java…

I suppose the project could include reducing the dependency on these
non-free tools ? I have no idea at all if this is possible. If you have
a few minutes free, could you write a few lines in the proposal
description ?

<http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2009/Amazon_EC2_AMI>

Thanks!

Arthur