Re: Dentist Management Software

On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:20:42 +0200 (CEST), Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Thu, 22 May 2008, David Paleino wrote:
>
> >> It is not any more complex than it needs to be.
> >
> > Oh well, it is "complex" to me. I'm not a *real* Python coder, I can just
> > put together some lines...
>
> Over the years I observed the problem that there are so many half done medical
> projects which never reach any usable state because they are more or less one
> man shows written in a programming language that this one man just knows by
> chance.  Cooperation does not happen because the protagonists just speak
> different programming languages.  So we are beaten by the fact that there are
> so many shiny programming languages available that cooperation on niche
> products (yes, I regard Free Medical Software as a niche product considering
> the number of users we actually have) is effectively blocked.

Fully ACK.

> So I would not claim that Python is the best language to pick (probably there
> is no such thing like the best language) for the purpose you have in mind but
> there is no reason against Python at least.  The big advantage that there is
> a project which looks somehow promissing and which existed and evolved over
> several years which is a good quality measure considering other projects that
> had a much shorter live cycle.  Keeping this in mind I would regard this as
> a good reason to learn Python (which is not that hard) and try to adopt as
> much as possible from GNUmed.

I'm in fact learning Python (remember the scripts we use for our website? ;))

> > That's rather easy in a language you know (-- I don't really know Python, I
> > go by trial-and-error ;) )
>
> That's a start, isn't it? ;-)
>
> >> In fact, GNUmed is a lot less complex semantically than what it needs to
> >> become - it doesn't cover any billing or prescribing so far.
> >
> > True, and I'd need that as well.
>
> If GNUmed manages to attract more developers (I hope you will not be the only
> one) chances are good that billing and prescribing might be added sooner or
> later and I see no reason why a project written from scratch should implement
> these features faster than a project that has reached a certain state.

OpenDental is not "written from scratch" ;)
It has a number of users on Windows, and also works on Linux, AFAICT.

> >> That would be fairly easy to add.
> >
> > Again, for any *python coder* ;)
> > I feel far more comfortable with C#, which OpenDental is written in.
>
> How did you gained your C# knowledge?

Years of Windows programming :p

> You will see that learning Python is much easier, because has a much less
> overhead.

You know, what I found difficult for all programming languages (be it Python,
Perl, C# itself, ...) is binding with GTK. I could successfully write CLI apps,
but when it comes to GTK... I lose myself there.

> BTW, I would not like to persuade you to join GNUmed.

I'd like to join GNUmed indeed, but I cannot assure any constant development :(

> If you think that chances are good to profit from OpenDental code at large
> scale this is fine as well.  The only advise is to not to start just another
> one-man-show project.  You have to form a community around your project.

Well... Medicine is a niche sector in software, and Dentistry is a niche sector
in Medicine. I would be happy if that community would be of 20 people or so.

> If you fail in doing so you have good chances to have spend your time in
> something that will bit-rot after five or ten years (depending from your luck
> or your effort you have to put into your real job where you gain some money
> from).  So just try to spend your time into a project that sounds promising
> for the future.

Well, I'd need that software for myself, at least! ;)

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino