Re: Google SoC (Bio DB manager)

Dear Charles,

I was looking at the Debian website and didn't realize that the deadline was extended, so I ended up filling out the Google application stuff yesterday.

I'm not sure what you needed from the SoC website, but the screenshot would require manual stitching of images. Here's the most relevant-seeming information:

City: Kingston, Canada
University: Queen's University (http://www.queensu.ca/)
Degree: BScH Biochemistry and BSc Computing (two degrees)
Expected Graduation: May 2008
Home Page: http://www.aidanfindlater.com/
IM Contact: aidanfindlater (AIM), @gmail.com (Google Talk), @jabber.org (Jabber), @hotmail.com (MSN), @yahoo.ca (Yahoo IM); 12192596 (ICQ)

I'm not really sure how it works from here on in. Did you guys have specific ideas about the tool? I was hoping that it would be modeled after apt-get or aptitude so that it would be already familiar to those using it. The proposal posted to the Debian site already looks pretty good to me.

How does one get ahold of the preliminary draft? I'd be interested to see what kind of choices he's made with it.

-Aidan

On 31/03/2008, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:
Le Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:45:55PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Aidan Findlater wrote:
>
> >Oh, I forgot to mention that Debian is the best distro, and Vi is the best
> >editor. Hopefully that last one doesn't get me disqualified...
>
> Well, the first statement increases your chances, but the second pushes
> you out! ;-)  Wait, last chance: What is better Gnome or KDE? ;-)))
>
> >>Are applications for the SoC biological database manager project are still
> >>open? I know it's last-minute, but I thought it can't hurt to ask. Please
> >>let me know if it is possible to still apply, and what I would need to do
> >>so.
>
> Just go to the GSoC page and apply as student.  I think it is not too late
> but I personally have no idea how to apply as student - I just found out
> how to apply as mentor. ;-)

Dear Aidan,

Google extended the application period for one week, so yes, our project
is still opened :)

Are you using Jabber ? My ID is charles@jabber.dunkklar.org. I am in the
Tokyo timezone. I am also mentor for the biological database manager
project. Do not hesitate to contact me for your application, privately
or on this list. I am not usually on IRC, so if you want to see me
there, please ping me before !

Do not hesitate to send us a screenshot of
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/student.html : I just get a message like
"Sorry mentors can not sign in as a student" !

Also, we can start to discuss to know each other a bit better. Just
start on this list if having the disucssion public is not a problem for
you. Otherwise, I think that we could have it with me and Andeas, who
are registered mentors, and with Steffen Möller who made a preliminary
draft in Perl, if he is available at the moment.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org