Re: Build-dependency for rasmol: cbflib

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Morten Kjeldgaard <mok@bioxray.au.dk> wrote:
>  If you have no special interest in the "obscure library" I volunteer to
> maintain it in Debian. I would also make sure it gets sponsored. I have a
> special interest in the cbf library (CIF binary format, esssentially used
> for X-ray images) because I am in the field (X-ray crystallography) and an
> application I am working on depends on it.

This would be great, since I do not need the library for anything else
than as a Rasmol dependency. You can get the latest sources from
git.debian.org (
http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/cbflib.git;a=summary ).

>  I have not checked out your version of rasmol, and I don't offhand
> understand why it would need cbflib.

The latest version adds support for 3D (electron) densities ("maps")
and isosurface meshes. The CBFlib code is used extensively in these
features as well as in the CIF support.

Best,

Teemu