What shall we do with the prospective package `tacg'?

Hi all,

Some time ago, I was looking for a program to grep sequences, and ended
up packaging tacg, "a grep for DNA". After finding out how to build it
on a recent system, I sent a patch on the sourceforge, and the
maintainer did not answer. Since there is no sign of activity since
2006, tacg looks abandonned. Worse, I found a bug while using it, in
which "grepped" sequences are found twice.

However, the program looks to have many other functions, which I do not
feel like testing exhaustively. Can somebody have a look at it an help
me to decide if we have to upload a package or cancel the ITP?

Ah, I forgot: one of the modifications I had to make to bulid tacg is
completely heuristic. I am not a programmer, and I strongly recommand to
not upload anything at all before a real bioinformatician proofchecked
it.

PS: if somebody knows a better programm to grep sequences, I am still
interestd :)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy