Re: [odin-devel] Broken (lib)vista version number

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

I think David is under the mistaken impression that the PACKAGE
version number (2.2.1) has something to do with the LIBRARY versioning
(i.e. libvista.so.2.0.2).  It doesn't.

This is what I've thought whan I was reading my mail off-line when
traveling to Narvik (SkoleLinux gathering).  So as a general hint
for packaging libraries which is advanced Debian packaging I would
strongly recommend using d-shlibs (for instance have a look into
libvolpack1 package).  This tool prevents you from a lot of pitfalls
that may happen.  Feel free to ask if something remains unclear.