Re: [odin-devel] Broken (lib)vista version number

Hi David,

> I was going to package both odin and vista.

That is great news!

> (because of broken libqt4-dev on unstable, but that's another story), I'm
> writing because of problems with vista (or, better, libvista).
>
> In fact, the version number is 2.2.1, but after compilation we have a
> "/usr/lib/libvista.so.2.0.2". That will probably cause errors when someone
> else will compile any package depending on this library.
>
> I've searched for that version number (2.0.2) in the whole source tree
> with:
>
> $ grep -nR "2\.0\.2" *

I assume that you have used the vista source code package from the odin
download page. The culprit is in the Makefile.am of the vista subdirectory:

http://od1n.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/od1n/trunk/vista/vista/Makefile.am?view=markup

it is the option '-version-info 2:2:0' to libvista_la_LDFLAGS. Please note
that the two last digits get reversed for the file name of the installed
library. According to the specs of libtool

http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_91.html#SEC91

the last digit (age) must be less than or equal to the first (current). Thus,
as a quick hack, I have always set it to zero. But this can certainly be
changed on my side in the repository, i.e. to  '-version-info 2:1:2' . I am
not an expert on library versioning. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue
are welcome...

> but had no luck. In fact, it seems like everything is correctly setting
> 2.2.1. Could you please point me where this strange number comes from? If
> you believe it's not worth making a new release, I'll make a
> "Debian-specific" patch to fix it.

It is certainly worth, please let me know what to change for a clean vista
debian package.

Thanks, Thies