Re: [odin-devel] Broken (lib)vista version number

Hi David,

> This means that, for example, 2.1.2 (i.e. 2:2:1) is backwards-compatible
> with 2.0.2 (i.e. 2:2:0). In our case, then, it should be 2:1:2 (to have
> 2.2.1), but according to the definition of "age", this is an impossible
> version number (i.e.: the revision is 1, it's impossible to be backwards 2
> revision before). Maybe someone on debian-med can help us? Otherwise we
> could also ask on debian-devel (where the gurus are :p) :)

OK, so the versioning of vista clashes with libtool's policy. For Debian lib
packages, does the version number of the package have to be identical with
the version number of the installed file? If not, we could simply set the
version to 0.0.0 and increment it as necessary.
Also, vista is not crucial for odin, it is just an optional package (at
compile time) to import/export vista files. And I think my Institute
(www.cbs.mpg.de) is the only left to use this format. So we could skip vista
altogether and move on to odin...

> Well, first of all, rip off any debian/ directory from your sources :)
> That directory is not meant to be included upstream; it's our job ;).

Ok, I removed it in the repository. I will upload a new dist tarball as soon
as we have sorted out the problem with the versioning...

Thies