Re: MIME and Applied Biosystems chromatograms.

Le Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 04:44:52AM +0100, Daniel Leidert a écrit :
> Am Montag, den 21.01.2008, 11:58 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
> > Hi Daniel, many thanks for your precious answers.
>
> I have some more ;)

They are always welcome :)

> Ok. Here something comes to my mind I forgot to tell you. Vendors are
> allowed to use the "vnd." prefix (also written in one of the related
> MIME RfCs). E.g. check /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml for
> this prefix. For example OO.o uses it. So I think, maybe a better name
> would be:
>
> application/vnd.appliedbiosystems-abif

I have updated the files to use application/vnd.appliedbiosystems.abif.
However, I am unsure that this will be the definitive solution as, after
checking the difference between .fsa ("fragment analysis") and .ab1
(chromatograms) files, I have the impression that they contain different
data. So althouh their encoding is the same, application that can open
.ab1 chromatograms usually can not process .fsa files. Worse, some
persons apparently used .fsa suffix for FASTA sequence files.

For the moment, the XML file detects .ab1 chromatograms by extension,
and ABIF files by magic. If we do not manage to distinguish ABIF
chromatograms from ABIF fragment analysis files, I am affraid that the
best solution would be to remove the magic detection ?

Can we look for chains of characters within the whole file without
compromising the speed of the detection ? It seems that some "tags" in
the ABIF files can be unique to either .fsa or .ab1 files.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org