Re: MIME and Applied Biosystems chromatograms.

Charles Plessy wrote:

> I tried to do with sequence chromatograms what I did with alignments and
> trees, but in that case something is going wrong. The MIME part itself
> works: an attachement of the  application/x-dna or application/ab1 type
> can be displayed with abiview (emboss package). However, .ab1 files on
> the Desktop can not be opened by double-clicking. Can somebody
> cross-check the files I created ?

Ok, first thing, I guess you are referring to this format:
http://www.appliedbiosystems.com/support/software_community/ABIF_File_Format.pdf
(such things are always good to mention for reference ;)

[..]
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/emboss/trunk/debian/emboss.sharedmimeinfo?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

Hm. Following the format description, it seems that you misinterpret the
format. The ".e" stands for "two bytes" (seems, there you find the
version number, see the above format description). So you probably want to
use a mask:

<!-- offset 4 and 5 stand for the version number -->
<match type="string" offset="0"
       value="ABIF??tdir"
       mask="ffffffff0000ffffffff" />

Unfortunately you did not attach a sample file, so I cannot check it.
But hexedit should help here.

> What I do not understand is that even if I were wrong with the magic
> detection, the glob pattern should work.

True. What does gnomevfs-info (-s) say? Maybe the top-class detected is
not "application/octet-stream", which is a must, if you do not define
another top-class (sub-class-of tag).

PS: I cannot find a reference for "application/ab1" so it seems, this is
an unregistered format and you should use the "x-" prefix.

Regards, Daniel