Re: Status of gwyddion

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Tille schrieb am 06.01.2008 18:13 Uhr:
Hi,

Gwyddion is on the Debian-Med imaging todo list (I just added it to
the tasks package) and there is a package on mentors (including 4
month old WNPP bug).

Jan, what is the status of the package?  Do you need a sponsor?
The package has in the meantime being uploaded (several times) by Steffen Moeller. But still not successful. I had quite persistent problems with rpaths, licenses and so on. But they should be solved now, and Steffen is (probably) right now trying a new upload...

I has a (very) quick lock and stumbled upon the lintian overrides which override the warning about missing Python and Ruby
dependencies. Your arguing that you have a python | ruby | perl
dependency sounds a little bit weak.  I would personally depends from
all of the interpreting languages if the user might need them for
whatever purpose.
hmm, that is actually one of points I dislike most myself... On the other hand, I don't want to depend all three languages, that would draw in a lot of packages, which are (at the moment) quite useless, as there are no actual plugins packaged/available. Additionally, the whole plugin-thing will be discontinued ASAP, according to upstream, so I have the whole gwyddion-plugins package only for completeness. But if you feel strongly, that this is a really bad way, than I will of course change it. I'm still quite a newbie in Debian packaging...

If you need a sponsor and we have found one in the Debian-Med crew we
should discuss this in detail.
As I wrote above, I'm already keeping Steffen busy... ;-) So, we probably should take the discussion right now...

Moreover I would like to ask you about your opinion about group maintainance in the Debian-Med team. This would mean that the
Maintainer is set to Debian-Med Packaging Team
<debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org> and the packaging
stuff will be put into Debian-Med SVN.
gwyddion is actually already in the SVN... ;-)
I did not yet change the maintainer, as I don't know, if there is interest from some others to work on one more piece of software, which is quite at the edge of your main interests. But again, if there is interest, I can change this, too...

Kind regards and thanks for your work on Gwyddion
Many thanks for asking!

And, of course: feel free to look for quirks in the packaging, if you like! I am very thankful for any hints, improving the packaging! (And if it saves a further REJECT and following new upload, than Steffen will probably be equally happy... ;-) )

Have a nice evening,
Jan