Re: [Debian-med-packaging] [arb] Bug in makefile.patch

Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Marek Stopka wrote:
>
>> Well some kind of cooperation between me and debian med project would
>> be cool. :-) I am not biologist, but one my friend who using openSUSE
>> is and I think he (and other biologist using openSUSE) will appreciate
>> that :-) But what you exactly mean?
>
> Well, I have no idea how far biological software in openSUsE are
> integrated.
You mean, if there is some distinct "Nouvel-Bio"  group ?  :-)   It would be
great to have a tool like alien to work on the source code level. This way,
we could possibly share quite some effort, the core maintenance of packages
would happen at either distribution with respect to the policies of another.

The effort to transform upstream's packages to be compilable from
scratch and refering to software that is already shipped with the
distribution
I do consider to be mostly identical across distributions. So yes, we
should find
ways to inform each other and profit from the efforts that others have
already invested.

> The Debian Med project tries to integrate any software
> which might be interesting for tasks in medical care - free biological
> software is consequently an important part od Debian Med.  Finally
> we want to turn Debian into the distribution of choice for people
> working in the field of medicine - well this might be a potential
> conflict because we are competing for your users ;-) - but finally
> we are working on the same side to spread free software amongst users
> in medical care / biology.  Here is the list of software that is
> integrated into Debian
>
>     http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio.html
one possible way of collaborating would be the indication of packages
that are already packaged at "the other side" via such a list. Though,
to what degree is that working with the technically much closer Ubuntu?
I have recently sponsored "Mustang", which is in Ubuntu for long, to
have the same maintainer's package also appear in Debian (in the
new queue since quite a while). So, that process seems to work, it
works particularly well from Debian to Ubuntu, but it is in my
understanding even far from being semi-automated from Ubuntu to
Debian.

Best,

Steffen