Re: Roadmap to Lenny: news release draft.

Le Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 06:38:00PM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :

> As not everybody has write access to the website, please any of the
> readers do not hesitate to make suggestions. I intend to :
>
>  - Write a summary of the novelties of Debian Med 1.0.

Dear all,

I attached to this mail a draft of a news article that we could release
the same day as Lenny. I impatiently wait for your improvements :)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles
  We are proud to announce the release of Debian Med 1.0 together with the new

  The <a href="http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/";>Debian-Med</a> project
  continues its exponential growth and again doubled the number of packages it
  <a
  href="http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org";>maintains</a>.
  In addition, the already existing packages were reviewed and updated. Our
  current work is concentrated in our three main areas of activity: imaging,
  bioinformatics, and medical practice. During this release cycle, we
  developped new dynamic web pages to present the content of our meta-packages,
  organised in <q><a
  href="http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/";>tasks</a></q>.

<h2>Medical imaging</h2>

  Many new packages were made for programs supporting the <a
  href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DICOM";>DICOM</a> and Nifti formats, that
  are important standards in the field of medical imaging: <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/aeskulap";>Aeskulap</a>, <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/amide";>AMIDE</a>, <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/dicomnifti";>dinifti</a>, <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/fslview";>FSLview</a>, <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/imagej";>ImageJ</a>, <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/python-nifti";>PyNIfTi</a>. Thanks to a patch
  allowing the use of MySQL 5, we could continue to distribute  <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ctn";>CTN</a> in Lenny. <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/sid/ctsim";>CTSIM</a>, which depends on an old
  version of the WxWidgets library, will not be part of the release, but it
  will nevertheless stay part of Debian in the unstable section. Once upgraded
  to a more recent version of WxWidgets, the Debian Med project will prepare an
  official <a href="http://backports.org";>backport</a>.

  You can find all the programs for medical imaging in our
  <a
  package.

<h2>Sequence analysis and bioinformatics</h2>

  This release saw the arrival in Debian of <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/emboss";>EMBOSS</a>, a very
  comprehensive suite of software for sequence analysis, with one of its web
  interfaces, <a href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/emboss-explorer";>EMBOSS
  Explorer</a>, that you can use locally, on your intranet or on the Internet
  after an installation as simple as typing <q><code>aptitude install
  emboss-explorer</code></q>.

  Debian Med now distributes all the major free programs for multiple sequence
  alignment. One of them, <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/t-coffee";>T-Coffee</a>, can function as
  a meta-aligner (<q>M-Coffee</q>), that runs multiple programs and combines
  their outputs in a higher-quality alignment. Its author kindly developped a
  version that only depends on free software, <q>DM-Coffee</q>, in which <a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/clustalw";>Clustal W</a> is substituted
  by <a href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/kalign";>Kalign</a>.

  You can find all the programs for sequence analysis and bioinformatics in our
  <a
  package.

<h2>Diversification of the medical packages.</h2>

  Debian Med covers a broad area relevant to medecine, with for instance
  software for helping people to take care of their health and body (<a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/pondus";>Pondus</a>), software to study
  the spread of epidemic diseases (<a
  href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/epigrass";>Epigrass</a>), and programs
  for organizing the professionnal work of medical doctors
  (<a href="http://packages.debian.org/lenny/gnumed-client";>GNUMed</a>). The
  server</a> is not yet available as a stable Debian package, but can be found
  in our experimental section for those who would like to help by testing.

  You can find all the programs for health and medecine in our
  packages.