Re: Imported io-lib, a Staden library

Le Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 01:37:09PM +0100, Tim Cutts a écrit :

> Wow - stop the presses.  Everyone agrees with each other.  This has to
> be some sort of record in any Debian-related community.  :-)

Hmmm, this goes too well. Here is a licence issue to syphon this
enthousiasm ;)

In the latest versions I noticed that the following files:
open_trace_file.c and sff.c, contain portions of code that have the
following licenses:

/*
 * Portions of this code have been derived from 454 Life Sciences Corporation's
 * getsff.c code (specifically the WriteSFFFile function.
 * It bears the following copyright notice:
 *
 * ------------------------------------------------------------
 * Copyright (c)[2001-2005] 454 Life Sciences Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
 * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
 * MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
 *
 * IN NO EVENT SHALL LICENSOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
 * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
 * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE.
 * ------------------------------------------------------------
 *
 * The remainder is Copyright Genome Research Limited (GRL) and is also
 * provided "AS IS" without warranty.
 */

/*
 * 454 sorted format (.srt) index searching for SFF files.
 * Uses a binary search.
 * This function and getuint4_255 above are taken with permission
 * from 454's getsff.c with the following licence:
 *
 * Copyright (c)[2001-2005] 454 Life Sciences Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
 * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
 * MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
 *
 * IN NO EVENT SHALL LICENSOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
 * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
 * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE.
 */

I am affraid that our archive administrators will object that this licence
does not give the right to redistribute (not to mention to copy and modify),
and that there is no sign that the permission given to the upstream authors is
also given to Debian. If my worries are justified, is it possible to clarify
this with 454 Life Sciences Corporation?

This issue will leave us some time to polish the package. I will commit
tomorrow an update in our SVN that provides a dynamic library, but I did not
manage to get the soname right.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy